Laying out UVs

So I've begun to lay out the UVs for the second character. Hoping to have it all layed out today and texturing well under way. The challenge here for me is laying out UVs in things like the leg and foot, which are bare, you don't have clothing seams and such to cut around. It's something I havn't experienced yet, and so it's going to be tough.

Heres a screen shot of how I tackle laying out UVs.
As you can see, I use my main screen for the UV editor, whilst using the secondary screen as a means of selecting geometry / select UV verts I need / mapping UV's. I also like having the menus open so that I can just select things with speed.

Here's the UV texture map I am using there :
This one wasn't produced by me, it is from Gnomon.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a video game artist at Dovetail games, working on Train Simulator 2014, 2015 and an unannounced title. I also graduated from the CG Arts course at UCA in 2010 with a First Class. www.jonstewart.co.uk